Contact one of our founders for a confidential consultation.
About Trevor Murgatroyd
- Trevor Murgatroyd has over 20 years’ corporate and investment banking experience. Appointed as General Manager in the Absa Capital Credit division in 1998, he was responsible for the credit risk of a diverse portfolio of clients before establishing the Workout & Recovery unit for Absa Capital in 2000.
- In 2005, Trevor assumed responsibility for the Workout & Recovery function for Absa Group’s Wholesale Banking (i.e. Absa Capital and Absa Corporate & Business Bank), where he was instrumental in many successful corporate restructurings on behalf of the Absa Group. For confidentiality reasons, the names of these matters may not be disclosed.
- In 2008, Trevor left the banking industry to pursue a career in the business recovery, turnaround and workout industry, successfully designing, negotiating and implementing many workouts and turnarounds since then.
- Trevor was a Working Group Member for the launch of the South African Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association, where he served on the Board from 2008 to 2010 and continues as a member.
- He was also a member of the banking industry task group, which contributed to the Business Rescue legislation contained in the Companies Act of 2008.
- Licensed and Accredited Senior Business Rescue Practitioner.
Trevor's Track Record
Since 2008, Trevor has successfully designed, negotiated and implemented a number of transactions, some of the more prominent engagements include:
- Absa Capital, as clearing member was faced with large Single Stock Future positions some of which defaulted. Trevor was engaged to assist with the negotiation of settlements and refinancing packages with respect to some of these positions.
- A South African bank faced a dispute with the Government of the Republic of Zambia (“GRZ”). Trevor was engaged to recover a substantial amount from the GRZ and successfully negotiated a commercial settlement to the dispute, the implementation of which was successfully facilitated by Trevor;
- Assisted in an advisory role with regard to the recapitalisation of a listed company which included the restructuring of their banking arrangements and an underwritten rights issue as part of the banking consortium;
- Negotiated and implemented an informal business rescue for one of the largest privately owned alluvial diamond miners facing foreclosure.
- Assisted a company, whose major activities are the manufacturing and distribution of plastic pipe systems, fittings and flexible hoses, which culminated in one of the first offers of compromise with creditors pursuant to Section 155 of the Companies Act, soon after the effective date of the Act.
- BRP – Mpumalanga Petroleum
- BRP – Eurocelt Durban
- BRP – Creditworx
- BRP – Sanyati Civil Engineering and Construction (JSE listed)
- Advisor to a shareholder of a group of construction companies in a shareholder dispute.
- Advisor to a party seeking to acquire a construction business through business rescue, but avoided business rescue and successful acquisition resulted.
- Advised a bidder regarding an offer to acquire On Digital Media’s Top TV whilst in business rescue.
- Advisor to one of the shareholders regarding their interests in a restructuring of Peermont.
- On behalf of a purchaser, facilitated the acquisition of a hotel property together with the claims of the lenders.
- BRP – Thuthuka Group Ltd.
- Advisor to retail franchise group regarding their turnaround and restructuring of banking facilities.
- Joint BRP – Continental Coal’s (ASX), Continental Coal Ltd (South Africa), Mashala Resources (Pty) Ltd, Penumbra Coal Mining (Pty) Ltd
- Advisor to one of the largest suppliers to Ellerines regarding their position, claims and reservation of title during business rescue proceedings of Ellerines.
- Joint BRP – Kudumane Manganese Resources (Pty) Ltd.
- BRP – Derry Engineering (Pty) Ltd
- Advisor to a transporter of a Ferrochrome and Chromite mining operation regarding their claims, resulting in a successful exit.
- Advisor to a company engaged in gold mining and exploration project in order to avoid business rescue proceedings.
- Advisor to the board of a large mining and metals commodities firm considering strategic turnaround and restructuring options including potential business rescue proceedings.
- BRP – International Ferro Metals (LSE listed)